CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Scared

I had a very scary realization today concerning Parker. For a couple of months now I have had some concern that he is not really talking at all, maybe just a few words here & there. I mentioned this to his doctor at his 18 month check-up and he said that we wont get worried until his 2nd birthday. I agreed and said I would give it until then. Well I have been working with him, trying to get him to repeat words with no success. He just points at things. Well today after his nap I heard him in there jabbering to himself so I went in to get him up. I opened the door and he was laying in his crib wide awake, but facing the wall. At that point I realized that he did not hear me come in. I said his name quietly, no response. I said it louder, no response. I did this at least six times, each time louder and each time with more & more tears in my eyes. How could he not hear me? I was just a few feet from his crib. I finally said his name loudly and he jerks his head up all excited to see me. I am trying not to jump to conclusions, but I don't think he has been hearing us. I am so worried. The level that I had to use to get him to hear me was totally shocking. He doesn't have a history of ear infections or anything. I am going to call the Dr on monday, but I am totally letting my mommy paranoia get the best of me. Thinking what if this is permanent. Will it get worse? I just keep telling myself not to get worried yet and wait until we are told anything for sure, but that is so hard to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa! Reading this brought tears to my eyes! I know being a mom we tend to jump to the worse conclusions first - I think that's just natural. Try not to get too worried until you talk to the doctor again. I know that's a hard thing to do though. Let me know how things go. Until then, I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers!
~Lea

Shelly said...

Maybe his ears just have alot of wax build up and thats why he could not hear you that well, he has had a cold so you never know. I understand your worry but just get it checked. I was kinda thinking the reason he was not talking was because he has two older sisters to talk for him, every child is differnt, just look at mine, Hailey was a very late talker too, now I can't shut her up. I know with everything with your Dad this is the last thing you need right now, I'll be thinking and praying for you all. Talk to you tomorrow. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

It's so easy as moms to go to instant panic mode when we think something is wrong with our babies. I have to say. Ian my third one did not talk until he was almost three. We thought it was because he was an early baby but then realized when he all of a sudden was talking full sentances, he knew what to do ... everyone else was just doing it for him. Same thing with my youngest except his was with walking. We will be praying for your family. Let me know what you find out from the dr.

Colleen